How to set up Windows 8’s Mail app with IMAP
Before you start
- Please ensure you know your email user name (this is usually the full email address) and password.
- Italicised text i s used throughout this guide to demonstrate example settings. This should not be copied directly!
- When you open Windows 8’s mail app for the first time then you should get this screen if your email address that you are using as your Microsoft account does not already have any settings saved on mail app.
- If you are not opening it for the first time then open up the mail app and Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, then tap Settings. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the bottom-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, then click Settings.)
- Tap or click Accounts, tap or click Add an account, and then tap or click “other account” to get the screen
- Click the IMAP option and then press connect
- It should prompt you for your email and password, enter your email and the password supplied to you email@example.com
Then move on by pressing connect and you will get the settings screen.
- E-mail address is the email address of the account you are adding
- “User name” will be the user name you were given when the account
was created (usually the full email address for the account, complete with @ symbol).
The password will also have been supplied to you, please note the password is case sensitive.
- The “Incoming mail IMAP email server” needs to be set to mail.yourdomainname.co.uk.
(Please do not enter any @ symbols into the server address box).
- Untick the “incoming server requires SSL” box
- The outgoing (SMTP) email server is the same as the incoming one
- Untick outgoing server requires SSL
- Then press connect.
- That’s it! Your account is set up!