How do I create a new PGP Key Pair?
- Right click on the padlock icon in the bottom right of your screen and select “PGPkeys”
- If this is the first time that you have run PGP keys then a wizard should appear. If it doesn’t appear (or this isn’t the first time you’ve used PGP Keys) then click the “Generate New Keypair” icon in the button bar.
- Follow the Wizard through filling in the relevant details that apply to you. When you are asked to fill in your name, please put in the company name (this makes life much easier for us when we put the key onto the secure server). There are also several details you will need to select when they are shown:
- 2048 bits (2048 Diffie-Hellman/1024 DSS)
- Key pair never expires
- Sending your key to the root server is optional (you’ll need to be connected to the internet to send this). Please see the instructions in PGP for more details. If you aren’t sure then please leave this unselected.
- Make sure that you keep a note of your password. If you lose that then you will NOT be able to decrypt any messages and MUST set-up a new PGP key.
- Once all these options have been selected then you should be returned back to the PGP Keys window, with a list of all the keys that are available on your machine.
- The new key must now be backed up as if it were lost you would be left unable to decrypt any orders and a new key must be setup. To back-up your new key pair
- If you are not already in PGP keys then start it by right-clicking on the padlock in the bottom right and selecting “PGP Keys” and find your key in the list that is displayed.
- Select your key from the list by left clicking once on it. (It should then become highlighted).
- Right click on your key and select export from the menu.
A save box will be displayed. Save the file to your hard disk.
NB: You must tick the “Include Private Keys” box, as this will ensure that the secure part of the key – which is used to decrypt the orders, is included.
- Once you have done this navigate to where you saved the key. You then need to copy it to either a CD or to a floppy disk (depending on what you have available) and label the disk as PGP backup and store it in a safe place.
- The final step is to send a copy of the key to us so that we can install it onto the secure server. To do this attach the file you created in the above steps to an e-mail and send it to: email@example.com(Tip: If you use Outlook or Outlook Express for your e-mail software you can do this by right-clicking on the file and selecting “Sent to:” -> “Mail recipient”)
Want to use this FAQ on another website?
Feel free to do so, but in return for the hard work involved in writing this article, please reproduce the article exactly as it appears here and include the following information box in full:-
About the author:
Established in 1996, BF Internet are a UK Web Design company offering creative design and online solutions for business start-ups, SMEs, corporate clients & major high street brands. See www.wearebfi.co.uk for portfolio, more details and a free consultation.