We have offices in both the Lake District and in Manchester City Centre.
Experienced Linux Systems Administrator – UK-based remote work option
This part-time position will suit applicants with 3+ years’ commercial experience. Applicants must be able to work from Manchester on occasions.
BFI (Big Fish Internet Ltd) is an established digital agency that specialises in high-end website design, innovative bespoke development, hosting and digital marketing. Due to continued growth, we are on the lookout for a fantastic Linux Systems Administrator developer to join our cutting-edge development team.
The Successful Candidate
You’ll be an experienced and knowledgeable Linux web server administrator. You’ll be working alongside the Technical Director and will share responsibility for the day-to-day management of 17 CentOS LAMP web servers, hosted in our rack at the Manchester datacentre. Responsibilities will include:
- Reviewing monthly vulnerability scans and planning appropriate action
- Regular patching & updating of CentOS, Apache, MySQL, PHP etc.
- Care & maintenance of our mail server (Qmail with ClamAV & SpamAssasin)
- General monitoring of server health, backups
- Housekeeping in regards to dead/new/suspended accounts
- Holiday cover to respond to server notifications (Pingdom, Nagios)
- Planning end-of-life hardware replacements & migrations
- Occasional major projects such as dedicated server builds & DC migration
- ..and all the interesting challenges that managing an active rack entails!
Our rack is 17 servers, hosting 900+ PHP & Perl websites and 1500+ domains. We use a mixture of single server setups and active-active clusters using Heartbeat & DRBD. This year we’ll be focusing on upgrading some of our older servers from CentOS 5 to CentOS 7 and putting some hardware upgrades in place.
This is a part-time role which is very flexible in terms of remote working, however it’s highly advantageous that you’re within 1-2 hours commuting distance of Manchester for occasional meetings and on-site data centre work.
This is a part-time role and payment is on an hourly basis, with an agreed day/week rate for on-call cover for server alerts. We’d like to build a long-term relationship with a reliable sysadmin and feel a monthly rolling contract with an agreed minimum number of 12 hours’ work would be beneficial for all.
The Next Step
Please contact Chris Ward () with your current C.V. and an overview of recent projects. Alternatively, if you fancy a quick chat about the vacancy before applying please call him on 0845 519 4727.
Not the job you're looking for?
Let us know your ideal job and if anything comes up, you'll be the first to know!